Scope Creep – we’ve all done it
Biggest problem planning a trip? Scope creep – trying to pack too much in on one trip. It’s the thinking “I’m here already, I might as well go…” Sure, it’s tempting, but we’ve found having more days in one place much more rewarding than one night stops. Even with a luxurious amount of time like 6 to 8 weeks I have to rein in my desires to see it all.
How to prevent scope creep?
- Start a Google Map and put your destination cities on it. It’s easy and free, just go to google.com/maps and sign in with your google account (gmail account will do).
- Get your airline Business Class award flights into and out of the major cities you want to see. This can be the hardest part.
- Decide on the length of time in each place you REALLY want to go. We like long stays of a week or more in fabulous cities with 2-3 night stops moving from place to place.
- Figure out your transportation options between cities you want to see.
- Start paring down your list!
On our trip to Portugal, Northwest Spain and Paris, we ended up with just 5 nights in Paris – not as much time as I would have liked – and mostly 2 night stops on our road trip from Lisbon to Donostia/San Sebastián. This 6 week trip was a terrific itinerary, but after a series of “2’s” we really would have loved a 3 night stop in the Douro Valley instead of two. Lessons learned! For this years Big trip I really limited the number of 2 night stops.
Keep your sanity, relax and spend more time in one place – Happy planning!